Today's vape pens come in a variety of designs, shapes, and sizes. However, with so many options on the market, choosing the right vaping device can be difficult. Here are some great tips for choosing the right vape pen and vape tank to get you started.
Mouth to Lung (MTL) versus Direct to Lung (DTL) Vaping
There are essentially two ways to take a hit when vaping in 2018. These are mouth to lung and direct to lung vaping. The former entails pulling the vapor into the mouth and then inhaling it into the lungs. In other words, it is much like drawing smoke from a cigarette. The latter technique, on the other hand, entails inhaling the vapor straight into the lungs. This is typically achieved by vaping on a vape pen whose atomizer coils has a resistance of one ohm or less. Sub-oh vaping allows a vaper to produce bigger vape clouds while enjoying a warmer vape and more intense flavor at the same time.
An Overview of Vape Pens
If you've never vaped before, then the vape pen is a great first device for you. They are compact, portable, easy to use, portable and are designed for mouth to lung vaping. For these reasons, they are particularly ideal for beginners that are looking to transition from smoking. The main components of a typical vape pen include the vape tank, vape coil, battery, and vape mode.
Types of Vape Pens & Tanks
As mentioned earlier, vape pens come in different designs and styles. The most common forms of vape pens include:
Mechanical devices -- Featuring a simplistic design with no circuitry, wires, and a few moving parts, these devices are generally rugged and durable. However, they also lack safety features, meaning they are potentially dangerous, particularly for inexperienced vapers.
Cig-a-like devices -- These are probably the most commonly known vaping devices. Cig-a-like devices fall into two main categories: disposable and refillable devices. The former feature a non-rechargable battery and a non-refillable cartridge, whereas the latter feature a recharge and a refillable cartridge. However, the batter delivers only a few hours of usage, meaning you would need to charge it several times a day. Moreover, these devices do not provide a satisfying vaping experience.
Temperature control (TC) devices -- These are relatively new devices in this space and critically, currently the safest and most effective devices on the market. They work by regulating the power based on the user's setting, thereby preventing the coil from heating past the specified temperature.
VW/VV devices -- VW and VV stand for variable wattage and variable voltage respectively. These are essentially high power devices that use one or more INR and IMR hybrid lithium-ion batteries. Because of their effectiveness, myriad features and flexibility, they are currently the most popular vapes on the market.
It's important that you choose the right vape pen or vape tank, as each person will prefer a different style. Find out what the best vape tanks of 2018 are for your personal preference before making the purchase.
Types of Atomizers
There are basically three styles of atomizers. These include cartridge, cartomizer, and clearomizers. The first two are considered disposable and are only used with cig-a-like devices. Clearomizers, on the other hand, features a refillable tank system and are the most popular style of atomizer today.
Some of the must-have features that you should look for include:
- Easy to refill -- Since you'll likely be refilling your tank with e-liquid multiple times a week, so you should choose a device that is easy to refill and mess-free. A device that is top fill is the simplest where a simple unscrew and fill from the top is all that is required.
- Easy to replace coils -- In addition to refilling the e-liquid, you will also need to replace your coils at least once a week. For this reason, you should choose a vape pen with a simple unscrew and replace the system.
- Sufficient tank capacity -- To avoid refilling the e-liquid constantly during the day, you should choose a vape pen will require a large enough e-liquid tank. In general, if you smoke a pack of cigarettes a day, then you should for a device with a two to three-milliliter tank. Similarly, if you're closer to two packs a day, then you should choose a four to six-milliliter tank.
- Long battery life -- You will need to balance battery life with your size preference because the longer the battery life the less compact the device will be. Again, in general, if you smoke a pack a day, then a 1,000 milliampere-hour (mAh) capacity should get you through a full day of vaping. If you're close to two packs a day, then you will require at least 2,000 mAh capacity.
- Simple to charge -- In general, a powerful device will require bigger batteries and more the battery maintenance. Fortunately, vape pens typically come with an internal battery system and a simple plug-in micro USB charger.
Essential Safety Features
Some of the essential features that you should consider when choosing a vape pen include:
- Short-circuit protection -- This will stop the device from functioning in the case the atomizer develops a problem.
- Over-discharge protection -- This feature will allow your vape pen to automatically power off when the battery over discharges.
- Over-charge protection -- This feature will terminate the charging process once your device is fully charged.
- Over-heat protection -- to stop the unit from functioning before the battery is at risk of overheating.
Some of the important factors to consider when choosing a vape pen include the coil resistance, type atomizer, safety features and must-have features.